This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

British Freelancer Living in Italy

percy333
British Freelancer Living in Italy

Postby percy333 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:58 am

Hi guys,

Thank you in advance for any tips. Basically, for the past 12 months I've been working as a freelance proofreader / editor for a couple of British companies. I currently reside in Italy, on the organic farm of my girlfriend's family. In short, I'm not sure what I am supposed to do regarding taxes. The job has been lucrative enough for the past five months or so (i.e. enough money that I owe someone some taxes!) I just got off the phone with Inland Revenue and they basically told me that it's not their problem; I need to talk to the Italians.

HOWEVER, from what I understand, in Italy there's a 50% on all earnings as a professional individual (no threshold. If I make €1,000 I owe €500 in tax). Does anybody have any experience with this? This seems ridiculously high, and basically means I will not be able to afford to live in Italy. I am very keen to ensure that everything is overboard and legal, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

RMC

Re: British Freelancer Living in Italy

Postby RMC » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:28 pm

If you work in Italy your earnings are liable to tax in Italy.

The good news is that if you remain tax-resident in the UK, perhaps because of frequent visits due to feeling unable to live in Italy, your Italian tax can be credited against UK tax charged on these earnings.

But Italian taxes are not as high as you think!

Return to “Income Tax”