This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Prompt Payment Discount and VAT

REG091
Prompt Payment Discount and VAT

Postby REG091 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:47 am

Had some work done on the house and the invoice offers a 2.5% discount if paid within 7 days. This figure is calculated from the pre-vat amount. But I am still expected to pay the full vat amount calculated as if there were no discount applied. This doesn't seem right to me.

Found some HMRC guidance for businesses which seems to suggest that the customer (me) has to recover the overpaid VAT through their VAT account. Well, I am not registered for VAT so that can't apply.

Any ideas?

REG091

Re: Prompt Payment Discount and VAT

Postby REG091 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:09 am

Anyone? This cannot be right. It means that I am paying VAT on an amount I haven't paid. "Explanation" from the company is: "The reason the discount is calculated on the pre-vat figure is because we have to submit our invoices for the VAT without discount, unfortunately the tax man doesn’t want to give discount too!."

Still means that I am paying HMRC too much VAT on this transaction.

bibescu

Postby bibescu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:41 pm

You are going to pay VAT for the discounted price.
The supplier should issue a credit note to you for the discount and reduction in VAT.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -discounts.

REG091

Postby REG091 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks bibescu but, what use is a credit note to me? Can I pay it into my bank? I am not a business, just a customer. Also, they make no mention of issuing a credit note.

bibescu

Postby bibescu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Credit note is the document to correct the initial invoice. Based on it, they can adjust VAT return and you can receive refund if you already paid.
No, you can not pay it into your bank.

REG091

Postby REG091 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:43 pm

Interesting, thank you. So I pay, they send me a credit note what do I do? Send it back to them and they then send me a cheque? We are only talking a few quid it seems a crazy process.

I see that HMRC suggests that businesses could include a calculation on their invoice to show the total Inc vat on the discounted amount and the customer would pay that. Seems a simpler process but apparently is not compulsory.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”