This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Unpaid tax.

Barricadebill
Unpaid tax.

Postby Barricadebill » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:55 pm

I was made redundant in September 2016 , and I owed HMRC from a previous year,as my only income was a previous company pension, which had been taxed at 20% ,then HMRC used my tax code against my company pension so I wasn’t paying tax I also received a tax refund, subsequently I have recieved a P800 notice for an underpayment of tax for £1760 for the tax year 2016 - 2017, which is the amount of refund plus non paid tax.

Do I have any claim against HMRC to write off the debt as it wasn’t made clear that my tax bill would increase, and I would fall into debt, I actually queried this at the time of issue and was told by HMRC that I wouldn’t have to pay anything back.

They are saying I had double my tax allowance due to it being apportioned between two employers,yet at the time of applying the code i was unemployed this was also the same reason I owed tax from a previous year.

They are now asking for £3600. HELP.

Return to “Income Tax”