This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Van purchase problem on SA

cookhead
Van purchase problem on SA

Postby cookhead » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:32 am

I have a problem with a van purchase for work and I need some advice please.

I bought a new van in Nov 15, paid in full for it, no lease or HP etc. I should have accounted for it on my tax return for the year 15/16 but (this will amaze you) I just completely forgot to do so - I think for some reason I mixed up the dates in my head or something, anyway, it never went on my return for that year.

How would I include it now in my 16/17 return being the purchase receipt is dated Nov 15? TIA.

RMC

Re: Van purchase problem on SA

Postby RMC » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:52 pm

Having in effect disclaimed the 100% Annual Investment Allowance in 2015/16, you can claim on your amended tax return 2016/17 and in the following tax years the 18% Writing Down Allowance on reducing basis.

When you sell or scrap the van, there will be a balancing charge or a balancing allowance.

Return to “Income Tax”