This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK expat tax

allanf
UK expat tax

Postby allanf » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi,

I am a non UK resident. I have been investing in the UK and recently met my CGT tax allowance of 11k. I have now opened an offshore bank in the isle of man and transferred my money there in order to continue investing and not be liable for CGT.

I am just about to start investing in some index fund ETFs but I am unsure on the following:

Can I invest in absolutely any ETFs (vanguard/ishares etc) and not be liable for CGT? Or does it matter where the etc is based - do I need to avoid those based in the UK even though I'm investing from an offshore bank?

I notice some are based in the UK, others Europe, Ireland etc etc

Thanks in advance

Return to “International Tax”