This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

50/50 Partnership buyout

gammyleg
50/50 Partnership buyout

Postby gammyleg » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi,

First post and not all that tax-savvy I'm afraid.

My friend is in the process of being forced out of a simple 50/50 partnership as the partnership has turned VERY toxic. Once final sums are agreed my friend should hopefully walk away with approx £150k ( Not insubstantial but way below the true value of the business )
He would like to immediately reinvest this money to buy a similar business that is currently for sale.

Could someone advise on the tax implications of the monies received from the buy-out, and whether any of this can be offset against the purchase of the new business?

Hopefully this question has not been the tax equivalent of how long is a piece of string.

Thanks

Gammy

pawncob

Re: 50/50 Partnership buyout

Postby pawncob » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:13 pm

Can't advise on tax position without full info on what's being sold, for how much, and what it cost.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “General”