This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

grants, contracts, vat, management charges

Nonimous
grants, contracts, vat, management charges

Postby Nonimous » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Client is a charitable organisation. Client receives grants from various sources which it then passes down to various partner organisations (they invoice it as they complete various tasks) retaining some as a management charge.
Client is very anxious that not all of the income should be treated as its income, as this is badly affecting its partial exemption percentage.

If the partner organisations invoiced the grant donors directly then even if Client paid out the money, only the management charge would be its income. But without the invoice trail or a list of specific instructions that Client is to pay the specific partners I think we are stuck

Any suggestions welcome

les35

Re: grants, contracts, vat, management charges

Postby les35 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:42 pm

I have a number of comments:
1. can you agree a Pt/Ex method that excludes money passed through the organisation? I have just done that with a client.
2. Check the updated HMRC guidance in https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-supply-and-consideration/vatsc51600 which provides further analysis of the VAT treatment of 'grants.'
3. Can you negotiate an agency arrangement, so the money goes direct from funder to recipient?

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”