This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving Back to Main Residence

HeniC
Moving Back to Main Residence

Postby HeniC » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:02 pm

My husband and I own several properties. One of them is our main home which we lived in until my husband had a job 12 years ago that required him to live onsite as part of his duties. We all moved to the tied accommodation and let out the property. We are now thinking of selling the property in question but have worked out that we will need to move back to the property for a while before selling as we would otherwise be liable to CGT. The proceeds of sale will definitely be used to buy anther property that will be our main/principal home. The question is how long are we required to live at the property before we can sell it. My husband is retiring from his job and we will lose the right to continue living at the tied accommodation.

Thanks,

EEC

maths

Re: Moving Back to Main Residence

Postby maths » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:23 pm

I do not believe it is actually necessary to move back in to the property prior to sale. All that is necessary that you intended to do so.

wamstax

Re: Moving Back to Main Residence

Postby wamstax » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:58 pm

As I understand the right to exemption as a main residence ceases on the date u decide you are not going to move back into Property but you would then have 18 months in which to dispose of it as your main residence
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”