This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Does CGT apply on annex once split to separate dwelling

HC594
Does CGT apply on annex once split to separate dwelling

Postby HC594 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:57 pm

I am considering whether to split the annex from my main house and sell both houses separately. Planning permission aside, my question is will CGT apply if I sell the annex on its own and what period would the CGT apply to? I.e would it apply to the whole time I have owned the whole property (main house &annex) or would it apply only from the point it is officially classed as a separate dwelling?

We bought the entire property 5 years ago for £450k. The main house is now worth £650k and the annex £325. So I’m guessing the whole annex would be deemed a ‘gain’ for CGT purposes? Thank you in advance.

maths

Re: Does CGT apply on annex once split to separate dwelling

Postby maths » Fri May 25, 2018 9:41 am

A sale of the annex plus surrounding land will constitute a partial disposal for CGT purposes. Any gain may be covered by principle private residence relief.

If however you build on the land with a view to sale any gain will likely be subject to income not capital gains tax.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”