This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Getting to the Bottom of "Dividends from Foreign Companies"

mike_302
Getting to the Bottom of "Dividends from Foreign Companies"

Postby mike_302 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:15 pm

This post is referring to the section from the HMRC's "Foreign Notes" document; trying to practically apply it to my stock and ETF situation. The section is quoted here: (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/690703/sa106-notes-2018.pdf)
Dividends from foreign companies
In columns A to F put details of any:
• dividends from foreign companies (use the details on your dividend voucher)
• distributions (use their value at the date of distribution) from overseas sources, such as, company assets released to shareholders
Don’t include:
• distributions from the liquidation of a foreign company
• distributions from a foreign company that return your capital interest or are in the form of its own stocks and shares
• stock dividends or bonus shares from a stock dividend issue made by a foreign company

There are specific rules about dividends from offshore funds. If the fund has more than 60% invested in interest bearing assets, any distribution that you receive, or that are reported to you, are treated as interest received. You need to put this under ‘Interest and other income from overseas savings’.

If you’re not sure whether your shares are in an offshore fund, ask your tax adviser.
As a UK resident paying tax on the arising basis, I have standard stock and ETF positions held in a Canadian account, for companies and ETFs traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. In the past year, I have received dividends (from stocks) and distributions (from ETFs). I only understand bits and pieces of the text above. I don't understand the practical implications of the two underlined items; and I don't understand the practical implications of the last two paragraphs about dividends from offshore funds.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks

Return to “International Tax”