This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains Tax

eiwob1
Capital Gains Tax

Postby eiwob1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi I'm not sure if I have repeated myself. But I hope you can guide me. I bought a property with my late father in 1990 for £16,500 and it is worth approximately today £350,000. I may have to sell and need to know what CGT I may have to pay. My father died in 2011 and as property was in joint names I took ownership. I believe any gain before he died is halved for CGT calculation. I have lived in the property back and forth over the years (living with girlfriends) when not. I have lived there for the last five years and have paid council tax but also pay council tax at my girlfriends. I know I can get relief for periods I have lived in the property, but how do I prove or be exact for the revenue. I have never elected a property as my PPR, but any guidance or help is appreciated.

Many thanks

Mike

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”