This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Mortgage interest against interest earned in saving account

liangtax
Mortgage interest against interest earned in saving account

Postby liangtax » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:56 am

Dear Tax Experts

I have my own residence mortgage, and recently i have remortgaged and borrow more money from it.

I am planning to use this money to buy another property/or other investment(Funds/Shares), but at the moment, plan is not clear yet. so i saved these money into a saving account, and generate some interest to offset some mortgage cost.

The saving rate is lower than residence mortgage rate, so i would not make any profit from it, it just a way to hold the money and waiting for best opportunity.

So in this case, do I have to pay tax on the interest i earned from saving account? (i am high tax payer, and interest from saving account will be above the 500 pounds allowance).

I have also seen BIM45700! manual from HMRC which seems to able to offset some mortgage interest if you are trying to do a business. but in my case at the moment, i don't have any business yet, and will investment or buying property will be considered as a business?

Thanks a lot for your precious suggestion.
Regards George

maths

Re: Mortgage interest against interest earned in saving account

Postby maths » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:57 pm

You cannot set off mortgage interest against interest income on savings; so yes, you will bear income tax on the latter.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”