This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How to record gifts?

tavery
How to record gifts?

Postby tavery » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi

What is the best way to record gifts? Gifts include cash gifts into bank account and also cash gifts to a lender to pay of joint mortgage.

Is a letter sufficient? I have assumed that it would be but do I need to do anything to make them valid or to make me the 'owner' of gifts? I have read that because there is no consideration the gifts can be challenged?

AGoodman

Re: How to record gifts?

Postby AGoodman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:56 pm

There is no magic to it and usually no need to record anything but if, say, Person A is paying the mortgage of Person B it can be useful to record in a letter that it was intended to be a gift rather than a loan or an intent to acquire a share of the property.

It doesn't make the gift any more valid but does at least confirm that it was a gift.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”