This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

RNBR question

SallyR
RNBR question

Postby SallyR » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:01 pm

I have searched for an answer to this and seem to come up with conflicting answers.

My 92 year old mother has moved out of her £400k home to live with me, her total estate has a total value of £1.9M comprising mostly of rental properties which will be divided equally between myself and my brother on her death.

If she were to sell her home now, will she loose entitlement to RNRB on her death, if she doesn't lose entitlement is the allowance based on that when her home is sold, currently £125k, or that on her death.

Thanks

AnthonyR

Re: RNBR question

Postby AnthonyR » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:21 pm

It's particularly messy, but assuming she doesn't own a home at the date of her death, it's based on the value of the property at the date of downsizing (or selling) which gives you a percentage of the allowance available to use.

So if the property is worth £125k now and the allowance is £125k now then if she sells it this tax year she will have 100% of whatever the RNRB is at the date of her death (assuming at least £125k is closely inherited by descendants). In April the RNRB rises to £150k so if she sells it on 6th April this year for £125,000 she will have £125/150=83.3% of whatever the RNRB is at the date of her death. So if she dies at a future point in time when the RNRB is £200,000 she'll be entitled to £200k * 83.3% = £166,667. This is, again assuming she leaves at least that amount to children/grandchildren etc. It also assumes her estate remains below the taper threshold (currently £2m).

Don't get me started on how complex it is if she simply downsized to a smaller property....
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”