This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transfer building land to a limited company

Joined:Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:24 pm
Transfer building land to a limited company

Postby Allenby2020 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:31 am

Few years ago I was gifted a house which has a large back garden, since then I have acquired planning permission and I will be building the properties myself. I have been told to transfer the plots to a limited company and then sell the house after and claim Ppr relief and then I will use the tax free money to build the new houses.

My questions are:

How to I go about transferring the plots?
What taxes will I have to pay and how are they calculated?
Do I need an accountant for this or should I just use a solicitor when I have created a limited company?


Joined:Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Transfer building land to a limited company

Postby bd6759 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:24 pm

Ask a solicitor

Any gain might be taxable. Allowable costs determine on a just and reasonable basis.

Solicitor for legal things, accountant for tax and money things.

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:06 pm
Location:West Sussex

Re: Transfer building land to a limited company

Postby pawncob » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:55 am

If only life was that simple, we wouldn't need accountants.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Joined:Fri May 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Re: Transfer building land to a limited company

Postby AGoodman » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:25 pm

Also probably SDLT - you will need to take advice on whether it is classed as residential or non-residential as it is a close call (being part of a residential garden albeit without any buildings on it).

Return to “Property Taxation”