This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

transfer of money from UK resident/domiciled husband to UK resident/non-domiciled wife.

RSKUK
transfer of money from UK resident/domiciled husband to UK resident/non-domiciled wife.

Postby RSKUK » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:14 am

Hello. If I the UK resident/domiciled husband die before my wife can I pass on all money from my estate tax free to my uk resident/non-domiciled wife? I read that the estate is tax free up to gbp 325,000 above which tax may be due. If this is indeed the case, what measures, if any could I take to change her domicile to UK ?
Thank you.

maths

Re: transfer of money from UK resident/domiciled husband to UK resident/non-domiciled wife.

Postby maths » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:36 pm

A gift from a UK domiciled husband to a non-domiciled wife is exempt up to 325,000 (the 325,000 is an aggregation of all gifts made in lifetime from husband to wife, not just 7 years).

In addition, once this has been exhausted the net 325,000 is taxed but only at 0% (ie effectively tax free).

maths

Re: transfer of money from UK resident/domiciled husband to UK resident/non-domiciled wife.

Postby maths » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:36 pm

"net" should read "next"

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Two other little points to remember.

From her 16th year of UK residence she will be deemed domiciled in the UK, so treated as a domiciled spouse with a full exemption.

Also, if all else failed and you died first, she could then elect to be treated as deemed domiciled for IHT and so be treated as a domiciled spouse with a full exemption.

RSKUK

Postby RSKUK » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Hello maths. So, effectively you are saying i may pass on my estate up to gbp 650 000 tax free irrespective of the fact that my wife is uk res/ non dom? Thank you.

Hello AGoodman. With regard to my wife electing to be deemed domiciled after my death to avoid IHT - are HMRC likely to accept favourably my wife's request to be deemed domiciled or do they frown upon it? Or is this a totally accepted method? Thank you.

Most grateful to both contributors.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Yes (to the question directed at maths) - there is a spouse exemption of £325k plus a nil rate band of £325k).

As for the election - HMRC don't have any discretion - it is a statutory election.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”