This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Treatment of bonus after moving to UAE

uk_expat
Treatment of bonus after moving to UAE

Postby uk_expat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:49 am

Hi,

I have UK tax resident and working in the UK for the past few years. My current employer is relocating me to a new role in UAE this September. Under the split-year treatment, I will cease to be UK tax resident on the relocation date. I expect to be paid a bonus in February 2018 which covers my performance for the 2017 calendar year. The bonus is at my employer's discretion - I have no contractual entitlement to it.

Will I have a UK income tax liability on this bonus payment?

Many thanks,

uk_expat

AmanSood

Re: Treatment of bonus after moving to UAE

Postby AmanSood » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:08 pm

Yes a proportion of the bonus will be taxable in the UK as part of it relates to UK workdays i.e. the period from January to August 2017.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

uk_expat

Postby uk_expat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks AmanSoud. Is there a HMRC guidance note or a section of the tax code that covers this?

etf

Postby etf » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:33 am

The following link may help you find the area that you need to look at.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... l/eim40008

KR

etf

www.theexpatriatetaxfactory.com

Return to “International Tax”