This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Freelancers working abroad

TD88
UK Freelancers working abroad

Postby TD88 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi All,

I am contemplating leaving my staff job and establishing myself as a Ltd company. I'm a sports cameraman, and a large portion of my work will see me working outside the UK. Other colleagues already in this position invoice the UK client, and pay UK taxes. However, actual work done in the UK can sometimes be as low as six weeks of the year. Usually the rest of the time we work in the EU, the UAE, and Far East.

Would HMRC take a dim view of me establishing an EU based ltd co? I'm wondering if having a UK Ltd and EU ltd under holding company structure would be too expensive for a solo operation. Due to the nature of my work I would need a system I can manage completely online. I'm 29 and child free so the prospect of relocating isn't too daunting if it means legitimately reducing my tax liabilities.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: UK Freelancers working abroad

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:26 am

Hi

I would just keep it simple and have a UK Company.

You will have to pay taxes on any salary or dividends drawn where you are tax resident. With the limited information available likely even under the statutory residency test you could still be considered to be UK resident even for the next couple of years. There is a possibility you could end up being tax resident in other countries depending on their domestic tax rules

The UK Corporate tax rates are falling and considerably lower than other countries in the EU so if you are going to have a company then UK or even Ireland would be the better option. HMRC is irrelevant here.

One other consideration is place of effective management but that can be easily circumvented since will be working in the UK for short periods.

Kind Regards

GTA

TD88

Re: UK Freelancers working abroad

Postby TD88 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:09 am

Awesome thanks very much, simple is best!

Return to “Business Tax”