This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Tax liability - Indian NRO

Pushp
UK Tax liability - Indian NRO

Postby Pushp » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:00 pm

I have some foreign gains (interest income) in Indian NRO (Non resident Ordinary) account which is non-repatriable to the UK. Tax has been paid in India on these gains as per local tax law. If these funds cannot be/are not remitted back to the UK, am I correct in assuming the following

a) I should be declaring this income on SA106 - Foreign Income pages of self assessment
b) There will be no tax liability on income in UK as income is unremittable
c) I can bring the principal amount back to the UK

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: UK Tax liability - Indian NRO

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:27 pm

Assuming you are non domiciled you can claim on the remittance or arising basis. There are a number of issues to consider how much, tax rate, how long have you been resident in the UK which will then determine which basis to use. It maybe not possible or tax inefficient to claim remittance basis

If you claim on remittance basis then you need to use SA109 which is not so easy to follow plus you will not be able to file on HMRC Software

Kind Regards

GTA

Pushp

Postby Pushp » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:41 am

I don't think I can claim remittance basis. Will the above assumptions hold if income were to be taxed on arising basis?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi

You can just file as normal

Thanks

GTA

HarryHowls

Postby HarryHowls » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi Pushp - what were the answers in the end?

I declare mine on SA under non-repatriable income in foreign pages, for which I don't get taxed unless and until I am able to repatriate it. What did you find?

HarryHowls

Postby HarryHowls » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:42 pm

I should specify that you have to pay full tax on NRE accounts as they are repatriable (and untaxed)

Return to “International Tax”