Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Unpaid tax.

Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Unpaid tax.

Postby Barricadebill » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:55 pm

I was made redundant in September 2016 , and I owed HMRC from a previous year,as my only income was a previous company pension, which had been taxed at 20% ,then HMRC used my tax code against my company pension so I wasn’t paying tax I also received a tax refund, subsequently I have recieved a P800 notice for an underpayment of tax for £1760 for the tax year 2016 - 2017, which is the amount of refund plus non paid tax.

Do I have any claim against HMRC to write off the debt as it wasn’t made clear that my tax bill would increase, and I would fall into debt, I actually queried this at the time of issue and was told by HMRC that I wouldn’t have to pay anything back.

They are saying I had double my tax allowance due to it being apportioned between two employers,yet at the time of applying the code i was unemployed this was also the same reason I owed tax from a previous year.

They are now asking for £3600. HELP.


Return to “Income Tax”