This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

US pension lump sum for UK citizen

evaeva
US pension lump sum for UK citizen

Postby evaeva » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:22 pm

Worked in the US years ago and I now have US based company provided pension there which is offered to me early, in one lump sum. Or I can wait to draw an annuity once I am 60 (still a long wait!). Guess it costs more to administer than it's worth, hence the limited time offer.

What does the US - UK tax treaty Article 17 actually say? It reads like a foreign language. Normally there is a 30% withholding for lump sums for US based pensions. Does the treaty apply - and reduce this to 0% - or will I be hit with the whole 30%?

What is then my tax obligation in the UK? I am under 55.

Double taxation coming up if I go for the early cash in? Thx!

DavidTreitel

Re: US pension lump sum for UK citizen

Postby DavidTreitel » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:34 pm

This is a common question. Assuming you elect into the treaty on a self-assessment return, if you take a lump-sum most folks read the treaty as saying this is only taxable in the US.

Assuming you are not a US person, you will owe US tax calculated on your 1040NR for 2017 including a 10% penalty for early withdrawal. 30% is merely a withholding rate, rather than the final liability.

evaeva

Postby evaeva » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Does this 30% withholding qualify for exemption deduction on 1040NR? Which is in the region of $4,000 by now I Imagine? It would be my only US based income this year.

The 10% extra penalty probably does not so that's a direct hit.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Has HMRC ever given any more guidance as to what constitutes a lump sum distribution in their eyes?

I know for a full distribution (as in this chap here) there is likely little argument. But I see some people assuming an irregular distribution from their 401k is a lump sum in the eyes of HMRC.

evaeva

Postby evaeva » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:59 am

Well, I decided to leave the pension in the States for now, start drawing it at 60 and live till 100. I think I'll be ahead. Plus there is another pension pot there anyway which will need admin at 60.

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:44 pm

Has HMRC ever given any more guidance as to what constitutes a lump sum distribution in their eyes?

I know for a full distribution (as in this chap here) there is likely little argument. But I see some people assuming an irregular distribution from their 401k is a lump sum in the eyes of HMRC.
Yes; this is frequently discussed. What is your firm's view?

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:20 pm

I personally see it as the full distribution within one single tax year as the article seems to be written with the US in mind. But as far as I know HMRC have not challenged this view which is surprising. I'm guessing they feel they fear losing such a case and opening the floodgates?

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:35 am

I personally see it as the full distribution within one single tax year as the article seems to be written with the US in mind. But as far as I know HMRC have not challenged this view which is surprising. I'm guessing they feel they fear losing such a case and opening the floodgates?
HMRC frequently discuss the treatment of US qualified plans and have hosted regular meetings to discuss this issue. Hopefully, anyone with an interest in or a distribution from a US plan is disclosing their position as to whether or not UK tax may be payable in the white space.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:28 pm

HMRC frequently discuss the treatment of US qualified plans and have hosted regular meetings to discuss this issue. Hopefully, anyone with an interest in or a distribution from a US plan is disclosing their position as to whether or not UK tax may be payable in the white space.
Sounds interesting, are there any minutes for these meetings? I'm a simple trainee and new to all this, but I am taking a keen interest in US/UK tax relationships.

Return to “International Tax”