This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Valuation of Family Home for IHT Purposes

Claudius
Valuation of Family Home for IHT Purposes

Postby Claudius » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:12 am

I am my two siblings own tbe family property with my mother. She is now terminally ill and I am trying to anticipate what will need to be done after the sad day comes.
She has no will and her only asset is her interest in tbe property plus a little cash.

In simple terms, do we need to get a valuation, if not for probate, then for IHT?

If so, I seem to remember once reading about a rule whereby if a deceased shared ownership of a property with adult descendants who still occupy tbe same, a 10% reduction in any value derived can be applied - for IHT purposes.Can I ask whether this is correct?

If so, what is this rule called and how and where do I invoke it for IHT purposes?

Thank you

Peter

bd6759

Re: Valuation of Family Home for IHT Purposes

Postby bd6759 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:07 pm

It is a simple valuation principle that a fraction of a property is not worth the same fraction of the value of the whole. Valuations are considered at market value: that is the amount that another person would pay for the part of the asset being valued. Given the lack of control, a minority interest is usually discounted by between 10-15 percentage points.

A formal valuation would only be needed if the total value of the estate exceeded, or was close to, the NRB.

Claudius

Postby Claudius » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Many thanks for your kind reply. I fear my original outline was less than clear.
My mother has since passed away and her interest in the family property was 50%. The three offspring own the balance of 16.66% each.
Her share gross is easiy above the basic £325k.
There is no will. For IHT purposes, how to we invoke the lack of control regulation to discount by whatever amount? And, how to invoke tbe additional £125k allowance available 2018/19 for estates passing to immediate offspring?

Apologies for not making this more clear but perhaps the sad loss has added a clearer focus to this matter.

Thank you.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:20 pm

There is no regulation as such. It is just accepted that a fraction of a whole asset is not worth the same fraction of the value.

You should commission a chartered surveyor who is familiar with such matters to give you a valuation.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”