This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Valuing a 50% Share in a Property

adamh
Valuing a 50% Share in a Property

Postby adamh » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:28 am

Hi,

What is the valuation for IHT purposes of a 50% share of a house which is valued at £3 million for outright ownership?

RMC

Re: Valuing a 50% Share in a Property

Postby RMC » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:10 pm

It depends on the purpose of the valuation and on who owns the other half.

adamh

Postby adamh » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:41 am

If I sell a 50% share in my house to my son, should he pay 50% of the price the property is valued at?

Or should he pay less than 50% as a partial share is not nearly as valuable as outright ownership?

I want to get the value down for him, but ensure he has paid 'full consideration' for IHT purposes so no gift has occured.

RMC

Postby RMC » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:37 am

Should your son die, for IHT purposes his 50% share in the property owned jointly with another owner-occupier would be valued at value of the whole less 15% (see VOA website).
Likewise if you die first.

AdamS93

Postby AdamS93 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:42 am

If you own a property worth £3m there is potential for you to loose a lot of money and you obviously have the money to pay for tailored tax advice to consider the long-term as well as the short-term implications.

You may think you are avoiding IHT but there are all sorts of anti-avoidance laws such as POAT which could be in play here.

There are also CGT and SDLT considerations.

Depending on what your son plans on doing with the house, there may be income tax implications also.

Return to “Property Taxation”