This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT charging and USA clients

Erin

Postby Erin » Tue May 20, 2003 4:00 am

Hi we are working with Clients from the US for the first time and vice-versa for them. They were worried about the 17.5% VAT add-on to their potential invoice.
Is there a way that they can claim it back or that we don't charge them for it?
The services that we are providing are camera crews to a TV production company. We are classed as a sole trader and VAT registered. I'm not sure whether that info will make any difference - but might help.
Can anyone help - I spoke to someone at the tax office and they seemed unsure.

paultaylor@vatease.c

Postby paultaylor@vatease.c » Tue May 27, 2003 12:08 am

Your supply is one of services and the precise nature of the service will determine whether it is deemed to be supplied in the UK (and subject to UK VAT), where physically carried out (VAT will be dependant upon where this is) or where your customer is (i.e. US and not subject to UK VAT).

If you must charge UK VAT then it is likely that the US company will be able to reclaim it through a 13th Directive Refund (dependant though upon the nature of its activities).

It is also possible that your customer’s activities will cause them to have to register for VAT in the UK.

A more precise answer is likely to require a review of the nature of the supplies between you and your customer.

Regards
Paul Taylor
http://www.vatease.co.uk/

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”