This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT Number

Blog1987
VAT Number

Postby Blog1987 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this seems remedial, just looking for some clarification.

I'm FT employed in this country but have been give an opportunity to earn some extra income by writing for an Austrian sports site. It's likely I'll earn around £200 gross per month from this company, and all they have requested is a VAT number from all their authors and that I am then required to report this to my tax authorities on a quarterly basis.

Would this be correct and would I only obtain a VAT number when I complete a self assessment tax return?

Thanks

les35

Re: VAT Number

Postby les35 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:23 pm

No, you can register for VAT on the basis that you make taxable supplies in the UK, or supplies that would be taxable if made outside the EU. Professional writing satisfies this test.
VAT registration is a separate procedure from Self Assessment.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”