This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT on Car sale

sammyt
VAT on Car sale

Postby sammyt » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:45 am

Hello all,
Struggling greatly with a VAT issue on commercial vehicle used only for private use- I am not a business owner nor therefore vat registered:

I am a private owner of an L200 pickup truck (commercial vehicle)
I purchased the vehicle about 2 years ago
The vehicle had previously been owned by a company and therefore, I assume, claimed the VAT paid on the from new vehicle
I paid VAT on my purchase and have no facility to claim it back. Vat paid
I now wish to sell or trade in my vehicle with a dealer
Market value (cars being advertised with similar spec at) 9k or 7200+vat for e.g.
Some claiming 'VAT paid' (e.g. The 9k ones)
How does the dealer calculate the price of my car in the price he offers to me?
Is my 'VAT paid'? Meaning he can try to achieve the market value of 9k or will he need to add and pay vat on the value as well?

Essentially he is offering me a low value as trade in stating he is only going to achieve the 7200 and needs to pay the vat
My point is the VAT on the vehicle is 'paid' therefore he can endeavour to achieve the 9k valuation

If I am wrong (and I may well be)...how would the scenario differ if I was bringing the vehicle along as a commercial seller having never paid the vat...

I hope this make some sense
Thanks

les35

Re: VAT on Car sale

Postby les35 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:57 pm

When the dealer purchases the vehicle from you, he is entitled to use the margin scheme, which means he only pays VAT on the profit margin he achieves. But he cannot offset any repair costs in that calculation.
So, he will have to pay VAT again when he sells it.

sammyt

Re: VAT on Car sale

Postby sammyt » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks Les35,

But surely how does my paying ofnrhe vat in my purchase initially change things...

Doe he not only pay vat on his profit? Or on the whole value of the transaction.

I am still unsure whether I am in a better or worse, or same position having bought a commercial Vehicle and paid the vat

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”