This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT query

jayjayw87ulh
VAT query

Postby jayjayw87ulh » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi I will shortly be working for a firm which charges VAT to its clients. I will work on a self employed basis and take a percentage from each client fee. I understand if operate as a limited company I will have to pay VAT if I reach the threshold but this effectively means we will be paying VAT twice, is there a more tax efficient way to operate? so that we do not effectively pay VAT twice

robbob

Re: VAT query

Postby robbob » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:28 pm

I understand if operate as a limited company I will have to pay VAT if I reach the threshold but this effectively means we will be paying VAT twice,
Once you go vat registered you will bill your client with vat which they can reclaim so practicably speaking vat isn't paid across twice. You pay vat on your income and your customer pays vat on his margin only.

Return to “Business Tax”