This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT Registration Threshold

Alex82
VAT Registration Threshold

Postby Alex82 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:18 am

Does the sale of digital services/software to countries outside of the EU count towards the UK VAT registration threshold? For example, if I were to make £100,000 in a 12 month period, and only £50,000 was from countries within the EU, would I need to register and pay VAT on EU sales?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: VAT Registration Threshold

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:45 pm

No, it does not count as selling outside EU is outside the scope of VAT.

Are you selling to businesses or consumers in the EU. If you are selling digital services to local consumers (B2C) then place of supply is where the customer is based. There are no thresholds so you will have to register under VAT MOSS and charge the local VAT % in that country where the customer is based.

With Business to Business it will just be reverse charge i.e customer will account for the VAT.

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “Business Tax”