This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT sole trader reselling to EU

CJ77
VAT sole trader reselling to EU

Postby CJ77 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:22 am

Hi everyone!
I have recently become a UK sole trader and was wondering if anyone could help me a query I have:-

If I buy some products from a UK Ltd company as a sole trader( without VAT registration to date), with the sole purpose of reselling to the EU would I have to pay 20% VAT in the UK? And if so would I be able to claim it back as the products would be sent directly abroad from the producer? I think ist terminalogy is "triangulation" .

Any links or advice would be truly welcomed, I have contacted HMRC numerous times and spent time in thier webchat, but todate I am none the wiser and do not want to start my business until I know where I stand with the VAT as it is more than my profit margin.

Kind regards
CJ

les35

Re: VAT sole trader reselling to EU

Postby les35 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:25 am

I do not think you are describing triangulation - see chapter 13 in this notice: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-the-single-market-notice-725
You can only claim back the VAT if you are registered for VAT. If your customers are private individuals, you will charge UK VAT. But you will also need to check the Distance Selling rules.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”