This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Form TR1 and transfer of a % of the property

Yiannis17
Form TR1 and transfer of a % of the property

Postby Yiannis17 » Mon May 09, 2022 10:26 am

Morning

I had a solicitor recently transfer 20% of a rental property from a widow to her daughter. This was done via form TR1 with the land registry. I now have a situation were the same family wish to transfer 15% from the mother/widow to the daughter. On speaking to the land registry last week after completing from TR1 myself they advised that this is not the way to do it which confused me as they stated they do not deal with the transfer and I should appoint a solicitor. I have looked at the Title Deeds and under the Title absolute relates to the previous transfer with restrictions, covenant's etc but not the percentages. is it best I get this done by a solicitor then? I take it then this would be done via a deed of assignment/declaration of trust?

Thank you

AGoodman

Re: Form TR1 and transfer of a % of the property

Postby AGoodman » Mon May 09, 2022 10:48 am

Assuming you mean it is already in joint names as tenants in common, I would just use a declaration of trust.I think you need a solicitor to prepare a deed.

You can't transfer legal title from A/B to A/B, which is possibly why HMLR wouldn't accept it.

Return to “Property Taxation”