This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Rental and CGT Taxes on UK property whilst abroad

pommie

Postby pommie » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:23 am

We are in the process of selling our main residence (4 bed house in South East) in the UK. We then head off to Eire for 6 months and then emigrate to Australia in January.

I am considering using some of our equity to purchase a smaller house in Telford with a small mortgage to rent out while we are away. The rest of our capital we would take to Australia to buy a property with a topup mortgage over there.

The intention of the rental property is to...
* Keep us on the property ladder as it will be probably a year from selling this house until we buy in Australia
* Give us an small income from property rental
* Try to keep us in touch with UK property prices should we decide to return to the UK at a later date.

Firstly, does anyone think that seems like a reasonable plan?

If so what are the tax implications with this arrangement?

Do we pay tax on the rental income in the UK or Australia?

If we sell the property at a later date can we argue that it is still our main residence and avoid CGT?

I am the main wage earner currently in the 40% tax bracket. My wife is in the 20% tax bracket (housewife but also secretary of my UK company).

All guidance greatly received.

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:22 am

Seems like a reasonable plan. You will be subject to the non-residents tax deduction scheme and can apply to receive rents free of tax, which are then declared on your UK Tax Returns. Put the property in joint names, so you have the use of two personal allowances against the net rent. If you stay out of the UK for five years or more, sell the property before returning to the Uk to avoid CGt on sale.

Not sure if the rental income is reportable in Australia and you will need to seek local advice, but any UK tax paid will be allowable against Australian tax payable.

The new property will not qualify as yor main residence as you will not have ever lived there.

I would be more than happy to complete the annual Returns and associated forms on your behalf and can put you in touch with an Irish firm to handle your affairs whilst you are resident there.

Regards.

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Property Taxation”