This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax rebate on Buy to Rent

nvedi777

Postby nvedi777 » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:45 am

Hi

I am thinking of investing in a buy to rent property. I have a few queries about how to save the tax.

1. Do I get full rebate on the interest, I pay?
2. Do I get rebate on the lease rent, I pay every month?
3. Do I get rebate on the commision paid to the agent?
4. Do I get any rebate on spending for furnishing the property?
5. Do I get any rebate on the fees paid to the solicitor?
6. Any other expenditure rebate that is possible.

and anything I must be aware of while investing in such a property?

I will really appreciate, if you could help.

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:25 am

You do not get a 'rebate' as such. The rental income and expenses are 'ringfenced' and not deductable against other income. You can claim for 1., 2. 3., but not 4. or 5. Furniture will enable you to claim the 10% of gross rent wear and tear deduction on your tax retrun, solicitors fees are a cost of purchase and are added to the cost when calculating capital gains in due course.

There is no deduction for any type of capital repayment or repayment vehicle.

You can also claim the cost of insurance. It is usually best to keep receipts for everything and then instruct a professional advisor to run through these to determine what is allowable and what isn't, as some items can be in very grey areas.

There are a lot of tax angles to consider when starting a buy to let, including the possibility of putting the property in a limited company, and professional advice should be sought.

Regards.

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Property Taxation”