This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on property rented from the start and never main home

Doctor

Postby Doctor » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:23 pm

I purchased a flat two years ago and has been renting it since. The value over these two years has gone up by £20,000 or so.
My questions are:
(1) I am eligible for the "36 months rule" exemption that I've read about in the other questions on this discussion board?
(2) If its only applicable for properties that have been owner-occupied at some point, does it mean that if tomorrow I decide to move into that property, that exemption would then apply to me.
Cheers
Peter Mann

demetris

Postby demetris » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:20 am

I am afraid I aam the bearer of bad news as to qualify for the 3 years exemption the property must have been your PPR at same satge.

You can make it qualify though by moving in for at least 3 months.

Demetris Savva BA FCCA
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info
FREE Special Report on how to beat the taxman, written for small business and individuals,when you subscribe to FREE tax and business advice newsletters.

Return to “Property Taxation”