This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Joint ownership

Chalim

Postby Chalim » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:35 am

My wife and I are buying a flat (by cash) and intend to allow our daughter to live there for a nominal rent in the early years but rent out the other bedroom (and common areas). My wife and I will have joint ownership but are wondering about the pros and cons of gifting part of that ownership to our daughter to further reduce CGT etc. Are there likely to be any complications with this arrangement (e.g. will putting our daughter's name on the register ensure she has an entittlement to CGT allowances etc or does there need to be an additional document setting this out? Does she need to receive 1/3 of the rent in order to have equitable title and having received a third of the rental income, will she then be taxed on it?)

mark

Postby mark » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:37 am

It sounds like you will not be living in the flat. You can dispose of a joint interest to your daughter, but you may wish to do it before any increase in the property value, as you are making a disposal for CGT purposes.

In practice, property income tends to be taxable according to beneficial interests. If your daughter receives a share of the rental income, she will be taxable on it.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Property Taxation”