This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Accounting for renovation expenses

mknight

Postby mknight » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:58 pm

Hi,
Several years ago I bought (as an investment) a commercial property. It required substantial renovation which, in total, cost the same again as the purchase price.

Some of the work was done by a main contractor and I have 'proper' invoices and completion statement. However, a large amount of the renovation was project managed (as a novice) by myself. Much of the receipts, therefore, are directly from suppliers (trade and diy stores) and self-employed tradesmen.

The result of all the work is a current market value in excess of what I spent and, as such, I assume there will be CGT upon disposal.

I intend to keep the property for quite a while. What I'm wondering is how do I make sure that I can properly account (if required to do so) to the authorities the renovation expenses incurred? There are a huge amount of tiny receipts and I'm concerned that with time many of these will fade (thermal printing).

Is there any method by which I can properly document/account for the capital expenditure? (Maintenance etc since property has been rented is accounted for in self-assessment)

Also, am I correct in assuming CGT is applicable and not Income Tax? The property was redeveloped (commercial use with flats above) but was bought as an investment.

With thanks in advance for any assistance.

Return to “Property Taxation”