This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sole property always main residence

ianinini

Postby ianinini » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Hi all,

I am currently letting my only property (previously my home). I spent one year abroad (gap year), and returned to England and now live in rented acommodation.

Please can someone tell me if I will be liable for CGT on the property after the three years?

I was hoping that by declaring my property as my main residence I would be exempt? But I don't live there. So I guess that's a period of abscence...

Hope you can help,
Thanks,
Ian.

al_eebee

Postby al_eebee » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:47 pm

Firstly if you are letting it you cannot elect for the property as it is not available to you as a residence.

As things stand you will get the period that you lived in the property plus the final three years as exempt.

If you were to let the property for more than three years there is a further "letting" relief of the lesser of the PPR exempt amount and £40,000. Note that proportion of the gain to which this relief applies is the proportion of any period of letting that is not otherwise exempt. So if you sold after 4 years of letting the proportion of the gain to which this relief would apply would be 1/total years owned not 4/total years owned.

If you were to move back into the property at some time in the future and take it as your main residence again then there is a further exempt addition of up to 3 years - see TCGA s223(3)(a). This allows for a period (or periods) of up to 3 years absence in total from the property to be treated as exempt SO LONG AS "both before and after the period there was a time when the dwelling-house was the individualÂ’s only or main residence."

ianinini

Postby ianinini » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:30 am

Thanks very much for your reply.

Please can you tell me where I can get hold of the document TCGA s223(3)(a).

Many thanks,
Ian.

Return to “Property Taxation”