This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

letting relief

TGC

Postby TGC » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:23 am

I Will soon be selling a house I used to use as a holiday home I have used it as my primary house for the last 12 months so I will get the 36months relief.
My question is could I now rent it out for 3 months (Jan- April) and hopeful get letting relief or would the taxman smell a rat and tell me to behave.
And if I could clame the above how much % would it be of the final CGT

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:29 am

Have you read the Inland Revenue's Help Sheet IR283 which deals with CGT for private residences?

It is downloadable from their website.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/ir283.pdf

[CAVEAT : see Matthew Hutton's article of August 2005 where Lettings Relief falls within last 3 years of ownership :

http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/articles/a ... php?id=215 ]

mathsboy

Postby mathsboy » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:40 am

Does anyone have direct experience of HMRC taking the less desirable treatment in Matthew's article when considering the eligibility of a lettings relief claim ?

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:00 am

TGC,

There is no problem with letting for 3 months or any other period you like.

However, remember that in your case letting relief will be restricted to the gain chargeable by reason of letting. This means that you will get letting relief equal to the gains time-apportioned to the 3 months of letting.

Therefore, if the total period of ownership is say 60 months, your lettings relief will be only 3/60ths of chargeable gains after indexation.

But this is subject to the caveat in King Maker's reply above regarding Matthew Hutton's article.

Ramnik

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:05 am

None to my knowledge, but IR87 has been withdrawn after Matthew Hutton's article was written, and I have not found the relevant example reproduced in any other part of HMRC's website - at least not yet.

This seems to leave only CG64721 which appears to contradict IR87 :

"In a simple case in which a dwelling house has only been used either as the owners only or main residence, or has been let as residential accommodation, it may be accepted that the gain remaining after private residence relief is the gain arising by reason of the letting."

This amounts to 5/10ths, not the 8/10ths in the IR87 example.

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:10 am

Ramnik,

It may be more than a Caveat now?

[See above post.]

This means there is no Lettings Relief for the 3 month rental period, as it is already covered by PPR exemption.

mathsboy

Postby mathsboy » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:29 am

Do you think the demise of IR187 is deliberate or part of HMRC's ongoing preference for providing guidance through Manuals instead ?

If this is a definite change in the rules then would HMRC not alert taxpayers via Bulletin or otherwise rather than leaving it to taxpayers to divine from other sources ?

Return to “Property Taxation”