This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

PPR exemption

chorne39

Postby chorne39 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:57 am

My partner and I jointly bought a house in 2000. Last year we split up, and my partner stayed at the house with our son and I bought myself a flat which I have lived in for the last 6 months. Now we have got back together again and are getting married next week.

As both properties have been my principle private residence will they both benefit from the Capital Gains Tax last 3 years exemption rule when I sell them?

thanks

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:09 am

6 months is a little close for comfort on the PPR qualification. But as you owned two properties when you moved out then you could Nominate the flat as your PPR dated from the day you bought ( you have a 2 year window to do that. ) then after you get married Nonimate the house. It just a letter to the inspector of taxes with dates and addresses, this should secure your PPR status but keep all records that prove that the flat was really you home, utility bills, council tax, phone bills, etc etc just incase they ask for proof. Have you considered keepin ght flat and converting it to a rental property as it was your PPR 36 months is exempt from CGT then Letting Relief is available to offset against CGT up to £40,000 per owner and the interest on a the mortgage is deductable against the rental income. Regards Peter

Cynic

Postby Cynic » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:12 am

Are you married Peter?

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:10 am

Answer depends on why you are asking. Regards Peter

Cynic

Postby Cynic » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:42 am

Don't worry, I am not hitting on you.

It was just that I thought the wife might not appreciate the reason for keeping the flat.

Return to “Property Taxation”