This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

"Income Shifting" Farmland

ORCHARDHALL

Postby ORCHARDHALL » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:03 am

Would be very grateful if a fellow professional could point me in the right direction of the relevant legislation:

I was recently approached by a sole trader to undertake his annual accounts (circa £20,000 sales). Quite straightforward, until he stated that he receives approx £15,000 a year from a farmer that rents land off his parents farm. It appears that his parents have said that he can receive the rental money received, even though it is not his land.

I explained that I was not comfortable with the fact that he was in receipt of this money, that it should be taxable in his parents hands. If someone could point me to the legislation that illustrates this I would be very grateful, as potential client is now concerned, but his sisters Accountant staters that is quite acceptable.

Thanks

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:16 am

Is there any documentation to back up this agreement?
If there isn't then the rents are assessable on the parents, who then make a gift of (say)£15k to the son.
I assume that he is not a farmer by trade and is not involved in his parents' farming activities.
The legislation was ICTA 1988 s15 (Schedule A) as amended by the 1995 Act.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

ORCHARDHALL

Postby ORCHARDHALL » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:20 am

Thanks for your initial consideration. I am fairly certain that no written agreement exists, even if it did, what type of agreement allows for the income to be "shifted"

Thanks

Return to “Property Taxation”