This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT/equity release gifting property

jrkhany

Postby jrkhany » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:05 am

we bought a house about 6 years ago and my brother and his family lived in it for most of the period. There was no rent being charged since it was bought by the family together. It was always intended to be his house however it was bought in my name. I have never lived in the house however i would like to transfer this house over to him, gift it etc. What are the tax implications would i be liable for CGT or would he be liable when he eventually sells it. Or are they any other methods ie equity release we can use. If any body can help me with this or any professionals I am willing to pay for advice about the best strategy.

JSK TAXATION

Postby JSK TAXATION » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:09 am

jrkhany,

Subject to the very limited information provided, and notwithstanding the nature of any formal documentation covering the arrangements, I think it very much arguable that a contructive trust exists.

In this case, you are merely holding the property on trust for your brother, and his occupation of the property as his main residence should qualify for CGT relief under s225 TCGA 1992.

If you would like me to handle this for you including the transfer, let me know. Kind regards,

John S King
Chartered Tax Adviser
www.taxation-advice.com
John S King
Chartered Tax Adviser
e: help@taxation-advice.com
w: http://www.taxation-advice.com
01732 897850

Lee Young

Postby Lee Young » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:11 am

It sounds as though the purchase was by you asa trustees for your brother, and always beneficially the property has been his rather than yours.

I would suggest you simply transfer the legal title to him as no tax liability will arise. It would also be useful to record the beneficial ownership of the property as always having been with your brother and ideally this is done before the tansfer by way of a declaration of trust drawn up by a solicitor.

lee.young@clarkewillmott.com
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

jrkhany

Postby jrkhany » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:28 am

Thanks for the replies. As far as any paperwork goes there was no trusts or formal documentations etc set up at the time the property was merely bought in my name at the time due to it firstly being next door to the parents house and it came up on the market and secondly I was in a financial position to pay for it and with the intention of either me or my brother living in it in the future. Since this was next door to the parents house it made sense for us.

JSK TAXATION

Postby JSK TAXATION » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:54 am

jrkhany,

Notwithstanding Lee's follow up to my post, I think it would be wise to deal with the tax issues now rather than wait for any problems to arise in the future. A simple letter to HMRC explaining the nature the arrangement should suffice to preclude any CGT having accrued by virtue of the property not being used as your main residence.

Without covering this angle, it could be argued that there is CGT and IHT implications in respect of the proposed transfer back into your brother's name.

Kindest regards,

John S King
John S King
Chartered Tax Adviser
e: help@taxation-advice.com
w: http://www.taxation-advice.com
01732 897850

Return to “Property Taxation”