This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift of overseas property

Confused987

Postby Confused987 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:35 pm

Dear Experts. I have a very complicated and taxing question. I own 50% of a property in Europe. My ex-wife owns the other 50%. I am non resident in the UK but wish to "gift" my share to my UK resident nephew. What would be the tax implications for him receiving my share as a gift? Would he be lible for CGT if he sold it? Would it be more beneficial to "sell" it to him for a nominal sum? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

JSK TAXATION

Postby JSK TAXATION » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:19 am

Confused987

The three issues you should focus on are:

the tax position of the gift in the country where you are resident - both CGT and IHT,

the IHT position in the UK if you are UK domiciled, and

the tax position of your nephew in the UK should he sell it.

As you do not indicate where you are resident, it is not possible to answer the first point.

If you have retained a UK domicile, the gift of the property will be a potentially exempt transfer of part of your estate in the UK even though you are non-UK resident.

Your nephew will be treated as receiving the property at its market value for the purposes of CGT in the UK if he decides to sell in the future.

Hope this helps.

John S King
Chartered Tax Adviser
www.taxation-advice.com
John S King
Chartered Tax Adviser
e: help@taxation-advice.com
w: http://www.taxation-advice.com
01732 897850

Return to “Property Taxation”