This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Entrepreneurs relief and rental properties

andy4851
Entrepreneurs relief and rental properties

Postby andy4851 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:06 am

Good evening, I wonder if anyone can clarify something for me please.

I own half a dozen properties, 2 individually, 2 with one person and 2 with another and have them all rented out.

I am looking to sell one of the properties which is owned with another individual.

Someone has mentioned Entrepreneurs Relief or Business Asset Roll Over Relief as being available in order to reduce the CGT on the sale of the property.

My question would be do I and my property qualify for ER or BAROR?

Purchase price (inc all fees etc) = 292,281
Projected sale price (less fees etc) = 398,000

Total potential gain = 105,719

Neither of us has used our CGT allowance for the year, nor have either of us lived there enabling us to claim PPR.

We are not yet decided upon what we would be doing with the proceeds as of yet.

Any help is much appreciated. I have read some of the HMRC regulations but cannot see anything which would clarify whether my part time property rental 'business' would cover me for ER.

Many thanks for your time.

mullet

Re: Entrepreneurs relief and rental properties

Postby mullet » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Entrepreneurs' relief is not available on the disposal of an investment property, and nor can the gain be rolled over. HMRC does not treat simple property rental as a "business" for the purpose of these reliefs.

Return to “Property Taxation”