This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Taxpayer ROI rental income paid into ROI account

Lychees
UK Taxpayer ROI rental income paid into ROI account

Postby Lychees » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:14 am

I have a client who is a UK taxpayer who has just let his second home in Ireland and the rental income is being paid into his Irish bank account. I assume that he will have to declare any profit in his UK tax return but at what exchange rate?

Lychees

Re: UK Taxpayer ROI rental income paid into ROI account

Postby Lychees » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:18 am

Also, if the income remains in Ireland, does he have to complete an Irish tax return? Does he only have to declare the income in the UK if the rental income is repatriated?

mullet

Postby mullet » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:30 am

If resident and domiciled in the UK, your client has to declare his worldwide income in his UK tax return, whether or not it is remitted to the UK. He may well have to declare the property income in Ireland as well, and thus become involved in double taxation relief. But wait for other posts, as I am not an expert on this.

mullet

Postby mullet » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:31 am

Exchange rate - in strictness the spot rate when each payment of rent is received. In practice HMRC shouldn't mind an average for the year as long as it is reasonable and hasn't fluctuated wildly.

Return to “Property Taxation”