This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Joint ownership but sole mortgage

Brightonian
Joint ownership but sole mortgage

Postby Brightonian » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:55 pm

My clients are unmarried. One is an additional rate taxpayer, while the other is a non-taxpayer. They are planning to purchase a buy to let property jointly. They will agree that profits and losses should be split 99/1 in favour of the non-taxpayer. They will need a mortgage. Instead of taking a buy to let mortgage on the rental property, they plan to remortgage their home at a low rate in order to raise part of the capital needed to buy the rental property. However, the remortgage can only be done in the name of the additional rate taxpayer, as he is sole owner of their home.

My question is, will only the additional rate taxpayer be able to benefit from interest relief or will they both be able to do so? Generally, where I have joint owners, even where the ownership split is not 50/50, I draw up a set of accounts based on all income and expenses and then allocate the profit to each in the relevant proportions. But in those cases, the mortgage is joint also.

HMRC seems to suggest that this is possible, as they talk of the share of profit, rather than the share of rent.
I shall be grateful to hear forum members' thoughts ont he matter.

pawncob

Re: Joint ownership but sole mortgage

Postby pawncob » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:05 pm

What's the problem? He's providing all the finance so he's entitled to relief on the mortgage interest.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/PIM2105.htm
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

section 44

Re: Joint ownership but sole mortgage

Postby section 44 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:30 am

Sharing profits/losses, as opposed to income/proceeds, sounds like a partnership rather than co-ownership ....

Return to “Property Taxation”