This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Calculate interest deduction on equity release

Maz

Postby Maz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:03 am

Hi,
I bought a house in 1996 for £58,500
I have since been lucky enough to release £127k equity from the house.
I have bought 2 other buy to lets using £27k as deposits. The rest has not been reinvested into Property.
In working out my tax deduction allowed is the following the right way to calculate it?
The current mortgage is for £148,500.
Original price £58,500 plus £27,000 reinvested = £85,000.
One percent of £148,500 is £1,480
£85,000 divided by £1,480 = 57.5
Therefore I can only claim 57.5% of the monthly mortgage payments for the property.

I am getting proffessional help, but would like an idea whilst I am getting my accounts together of if I am heading for losses or profit.....

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can steer me in the right direction.

Graham1

Postby Graham1 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:42 am

I was hoping u had a reply from an accountant, as this subject also interests me.

I recently read that in this situation the release amount relates to the property one releases the money for ,not the property with the equity, and this has to be proved via a paper-trail.

One would have to split the mortgage interest to show the two amounts.

It does sound logical however I am not sure about this (cannot find the article), and would appreciate confirmation.

Return to “Property Taxation”