This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property VAT on newly formed LTD

ltd101
Property VAT on newly formed LTD

Postby ltd101 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:45 pm

I have recently set up a Property Investment LTD & have purchased two properties within the LTD to rent out. Unfortunately my revenues will be well below the c £79k '13 needed to mean I have to register for VAT but I am also aware that you can volunteer for VAT/register for VAT// join the 'FLAT RATE' VAT scheme.

I am aware that VAT is not actually chargeable on rental revenue but I was hoping (perhaps blue sky) that if i willingly registered for VAT I might be able to claim the below back:

VAT charged to the LTD by the estate agent for finding a tenant fees
VAT charged on replacement fridge
VAT charged replacement cooker
VAT charged on decorative work

Any thoughts/advice appreciated tks

pawncob

Re: Property VAT on newly formed LTD

Postby pawncob » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 pm

No.

Domestic property is outside the VAT system.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

ltd101

Postby ltd101 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Tks vm.

What about if i build a dwelling to replace my garage (at the end of the garden)? It has separate access as its an end of terrace

What about if i convert the property into two flats? I read somewhere that this can mean the building works incur 0% VAT?

tks as always

section 44

Postby section 44 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:06 pm

[quote="pawncob"]Domestic property is outside the VAT system.[/quote]

No it isn't. This is an over-simplification.

[quote="ltd101"]What about if i build a dwelling to replace my garage (at the end of the garden)? It has separate access as its an end of terrace[/quote]

Would the separate use and disposal of the new dwelling be permitted?

[quote="ltd101"]What about if i convert the property into two flats? I read somewhere that this can mean the building works incur 0% VAT? [/quote]

Conversion of a non-residential property into a dwelling qualifies for zero-rating. This wouldn't be in point.

Return to “Property Taxation”