This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Allocation of Rental Losses for LLP members

S_JAC
Allocation of Rental Losses for LLP members

Postby S_JAC » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Can rental losses in an LLP be allocated to individual Members and used against rental profits in their individual property businesses?

Is the LLP tax transparent for an investment business?

pawncob

Re: Allocation of Rental Losses for LLP members

Postby pawncob » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Losses appear to be personal just as in a partnership, so you can claim them.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/12/section/10
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

AvocadoK

Postby AvocadoK » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:03 pm

On the other hand, if you look iat HMRC's property manual at PIM4025 you will read:

Losses made in one rental business can’t be carried across to any other rental business the taxpayer carries on at the same time in a different legal capacity.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/PIM4205.htm

As the personal rental business is carried on in a different legal capacity to the LLP, the offset is not available. I don't know if I am entirely convinced, but I know that HMRC do take the point in practice.

section 44

Postby section 44 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:05 pm

No.

Even though partnerships and LLPs are generally transparent for tax purposes, the property letting business would be the LLP's and not the member's.

Return to “Property Taxation”