This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp duty on transfer of properties

BMiles
Stamp duty on transfer of properties

Postby BMiles » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:56 pm

I am trying to organise a transfer of commercial property from a 3 person equal partnership to a newly set up limited company with the existing partners being equal shareholders.

We are concerned about whether stamp duty is applicable in this situation and what we can do to minimise it.

The property is on one site and is made up of a variety of leashed units and industrial storage units.

Many thanks for any advice

AvocadoK

Re: Stamp duty on transfer of properties

Postby AvocadoK » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:40 pm

It's a good question, because normally, the transfer of property to a limited company would trigger a charge to stamp duty land tax (SDLT). However, in the case of a partnership transferor, the formula for calculating the charge will always result in a zero charge where all the partners become shareholders in the company, and there are no shareholders other than the former partners. This is provided for in Finance Act 2003 Sch 15 Para 18. I have sometimes come across solicitors who are not aware of this, and who advise clients to pay the SDLT, but it is usually possible to educate them.
Regards
AK

AvocadoK

Re: Stamp duty on transfer of properties

Postby AvocadoK » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:41 pm

PS
I am assuming you have already considered the CGT position and are happy that there is no tax to pay.

Return to “Property Taxation”