This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income on UK property while living in USA

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:00 am

Income on UK property while living in USA

Postby Moving_to_America » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:10 am

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on my inevitable tax situation.

I am a UK resident (at the time of writing this) but I am moving to the USA in the next few months. I am self employed and have property over here that I rent out at roughly £8,000pa. This of course is included in my tax returns.

My question is this, what happens once I become a resident of the USA? Obviously I don't want to either pay double or pay tax to the wrong country.

Also, at what point am I counted as a USA resident for tax purposes? There is a rather large grey area during my visa applications as there are many stages to go through in order to become a permanent resident and each one takes many months. This may be a question for another forum.

[link removed by moderator]

If anyone has been in a similar situation or can help explain it, I would appreciate it very much!

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Income on UK property while living in USA

Postby nikkisizer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:48 am

Hello Moving_to_America,

You will still need to submit a tax return to HMRC for income received from the UK but a double taxation agreement does exist between the UK and USA so the tax relief will be claimed via your tax return.

Happy to help if required so if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

Return to “Property Taxation”