This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Selling first home after buying second.

Opensource

Postby Opensource » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:03 am

I purchased property A in Jul 1999 for £72k and lived there until Apr 2002.

I bought a second property B which I now reside in (from Apr 2004).

Unfortunately the sale of propery A has just fallen through (sale price £220k) and I am worried about capital gains tax implications if I decide to rent it and then sell it sometime in the future.

Am I liable for CGT on A if I sell it within the next year or so (even if I have rented it out in that time) ?

moonshine

Postby moonshine » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:12 am

DonÂ’t worry itÂ’s unlikely youÂ’ll end up with a CGT bill. First and foremost the last 36 months of ownership are always exempt from CGT. There are likely to be other reliefs if, perish the thought, you donÂ’t manage to sell in this time

thetaxmonkey@hotmail.com

Opensource

Postby Opensource » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:53 am

Thanks for the reply.

Is there anything (IR doc) that I can refer to that will confirm this ?

ian.wright@beechams.

Postby ian.wright@beechams. » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:10 am

Here is a link to the Inland Revenue pages relating to letting your home.

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/ir87.htm

I hope this helps.

Return to “Property Taxation”